Tuesday, July 1, 2008

All and Nothing

Well, as I put it to one friend, absolutely nothing and a whole lot has been going on this summer. From Enoch to Generation, and from sleeping in to days on end spent at home, I'm actually rather enjoying it.
There wasn't any youth group on Sunday because of the movie "How to Raise a Responsible Child", which has been fondly nicknamed the "monkey video" (yes, i have seen it, many years ago) Aaron and Josh M., Stephen R., Hannah L., and I were put in charge of the children for the hour that the movie took up. The boys watched the older group while Hannah and I were placed in the nursery. I must say, I was not at all looking forward to it. I generally can't stand children, especially when they're crying and they can't tell me what's wrong, but I didn't mind it so much Sunday night. We only had three babies, one of which was Jonathon M and another named Joshua who was already two. The third was a baby girl with a hard to remember but pretty name. She cried for a few minutes, but her brother was sent out to rescue us, and he spent the remainder of the movie walking around the back with her. My sincere appreciate goes out to him; thank the Lord for responsible teens who are willing to take care of their families! Mostly, everything went without a hitch. Jonathon cried for awhile, but his mother came out after around fifteen minutes and fed him, and then everything was fine. Hannah and I played with Joshua, throwing a tennis ball into the other room for him to chase and bring back to us, and he was very good. Hannah knew exactly what to do with all the children. She is such a blessing; she's very gifted with children. In the other room, we could hear the older children getting rowdy with Stephen, Aaron, and Josh, but when I asked later they said they were playing a game and that nothing was wrong. All three of them are growing into such godly young men! It never fails to astound me that the obnoxious little Stephen I knew when I was five has grown up to own his own landscaping businnes, play guitar on the worship team, and take care of his family the way he does. I respect him very much for the responsible young man he's turned into, and I thank God for all the young men of CCF.
Today was the last day Mrs. Buck and Olivia will be staying with us. Consequentially, my mom decided we should do something fun, so we went to Covered Bridge Pizza in Conneaut and the beach. The food at the restaurant was delicious, and it was wonderful to lay out in the sun and relax with family and friends.
But then, when we got in the car to come home, my mom got a call from my dad. My Great Aunt Ether died today. It was all the more horrible because cousin Jeff, her son, is in charge of the construction of our garage, and he was over at our house when he received the news. Aunt Esther is with the Lord now, and I'll always remember how she was always smiling and how her sweet laugh was so infectious that even my crabbiest relative couldn't help but join in the mirth. Please be praying for the family; it's come as a shock, and there's much grief being spread around.
The Bucks, Mom, Rosey, and I went to Dairy Queen to get ice cream, and we just got back a little while ago. Mrs. Buck and Olivia are leaving tomorrow, hopefully before nine o'clock. They were wonderful guests while they stayed with us.
One last note before I post this: an update on Enoch. He absolutely loves his new home, and everyone adores him...except our other cats. He's not phased by it, though; he loves to chase them around. He's smart enough to avoid Mercy, our smallest, black cat who reigns as queen of the house, but he continually antagonizes Rosey's insane tortoiseshell cat Misty and my pretty darling Jael. (I'll try to post pictures soon.) He's very spunky, and they just don't have the patience. It's been amusing for us, but not for Misty and Jael. Misty's taken to hiding under my bed when he wants to play, and Jael is sulkier than usual, but it'll pass soon. I know from experience that these things always pass. He'll become a regular member of the family, even if the other cats never quite like him. Mercy still doesn't like Jael (who I got last January after my cat Gideon drowned in my pond), but I think Enoch will be accepted after a couple months.
That's it, I suppose. This is by far my longest post yet, but as there doesn't seem to be a limit, it doesn't really matter. Adieu to you all!
- Becca

4 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like it was a fun day until the news of Aunt Esther came. I am sorry that happened and will say a prayer for you all.

Good job staying in the nursery. I know how much you love that ministry. :-)

Love, Mrs. G

runnergirl© said...

I love your stories about the kitties.
I can just see them playing in my head.
:) can't wait for some pics!
Hopefully I will see you tomorrow for the picnic.
=]
-meli

Hanna said...

Hey Becca!
SSSoooo glad u called me about the bonfire 2morrow! I had no idea what time it was. Uhhh...u did say 6 o'clock right? Or was it 6:30?

Cats r cute! Lookin' 4ward 2 the pics!

Sorry about the ur Aunt! I'll b praying 4 them and u.
C U @ the bonfire???
XXXXXXOOOOOO-Hanna G.

Lisa said...

Sorry about the sudden passing of your Aunt. What a wonderful memory you have of her sweet demeanor and the way it touched those around her. Keeping you and your family in my prayers.
Love, Mrs. K.