Thursday, July 10, 2008

This Week

It's been a long week. It seems like I'm alternately doing tons and then nothing day by day! I love summer break, but every once-in-awhile, I get frustrated with it. But I guess that happens to the best of us.
Sunday was church, of course, and I was in the back with the kids. (Mrs. List and Stephen had to swap weeks with my mother and me because they're both very ill, so keep them in your prayers. Hopefully, they're better by now.) I helped Mr. Patterson, who seems like a very good teacher. All the kids love him, and they're learning a lot, but he's still very nervous every time he has to speak, so be praying that God would give him confidence! He also seems like the type of speaker who would do very well talking to teenagers. The way he delivers his message just seems geared that way.
After church, we had to rush home and then rush to the calling hours for Aunt Esther. It was a very somber affair; lots of hugs and tears, and I saw many cousins I very rarely see more than once or twice a year. Afterwards, my family and my grandparents went to Covered Bridge Pizza, and I was in one of those moods when I was hungry, but just didn't feel like eating. It was frustrating for my family, and probably for the waitress, who had just started, and I felt horrible, but after looking over the menu several times I managed to pick something I thought looked good.
Monday was the funeral. I got all dressed-up in black only to come out to find both Rosey and Mom wearing pink! My mom told me what I had on would be too hot and that I really didn't have to wear black(it was supposed to be almost 90, the church didn't have air conditioning, and I was in long sleeves), and I went and changed into my signature blue. When I came back out, it was to find Jamie wearing jeans! Oh, I could have strangled her! I'm going to be very honest and admit that I'm frequently irritated by her these days, when she's even home or not locked up in her room chatting on the phone. But I'll stop there. Anyway, my mom made her go change into something more respectful, and we went to breakfast and then the funeral. It was a nice service, full of hope for salvation and good things to say about Aunt Esther, and after the luncheon across the street, we went home.
Tuesday wound up being one of those days when I do nothing. My dad was planning on cooking chicken on the grill, but the rain didn't let up in time, so we ordered from Georgio's again. When my mom finally got fed up with waiting, she gave me my present, and I opened it with her and my dad flitting in and out of the room. (Rosey and Jamie were in their rooms respectively.) I got the Holman Student Study Bible (which I had pointed out to her at Borders). It's very cool, it has quotes from famous Christian philosophers, lots of map, charts, and tables, and my name embossed on the leather cover. She also got me a cd by Laura Story, a necklace, and a keychain. The reason she didn't give them to me during the joint birthday party was because she didn't have anything to wrap them in. All in all, it wasn't a bad birthday.
Yesterday wound up being busier than I expected. I made enough filling for two chicken rings (I got the recipe from Fair Maidens), which took a couple hours, and we took the one I had time to bake to Mrs. Haynes. My mom bought me a picture from her, one of the Square's gazebo at Christmas time, and we discussed the times when I would be watching Sweetpea and Delilah, her two dogs. Mrs. Haynes is truly a wonderful photographer; I love looking at her work. After that, it was to Dr. K. for a chiropractic check-up. My dad cooked on the grill last night after failing to on Tuesday, but he started too late, and I wound up being late to worship practice again! (I was late last week because I lost track of time when I was doing chores)
Today, I've finally gotten to check my email and various other things, and I'm surprised I found it vacated. Rosey very considerately lets me on when she knows I haven't been able to check my email in awhile, but other people have been occupying it lately.
Tomorrow evening, I go to dogsit for Mrs. Haynes again, so I won't be on for the weekend.
I'll see most of you Sunday! God Bless!
- Becca

6 comments:

runnergirl© said...

Sounds like a good birthday and I can't wait to see your new Bible. I am intrigued by different translations of Bibles, and maily ones with "add in's" such as devotional clips and sayings.

Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. I am going to have to personally scold her for wearing those old jeans again! :p

-Meli

miss_lep said...

I'm glad you had a nice Birthday! It seems like the whole blogger group we have helped make sure we all knew!

Rachel Marie said...

Ashley's blog introduced me to yours...welcome to the world of blogging!

Lisa said...

I'm glad your Aunt's funeral was filled with hope even though there were also many tears.

I'd love to see your Bible. The quotes from famous Christian philosopher's sound interesting. How special to have a leather Bible with your name embossed on the front.

I think Summer break can be difficult due to lack of schedules. Our family loves to stay up late and sleep late the next morning and have relaxing days but in reality that gets old quickly! We thrive on schedules and routines.

I'm really enjoying reading your blog. Have fun dog sitting!

Love, Mrs. K.

Jen said...

Have fun with the dogs. I will be sure to let you know if I stop by to "steal" any flowers. :-))

Hanna said...

Well, I am assuming the chicken ring taisted good. At least untill a few minuts after you had it for breakfist the next morning. lol
XXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOo-Hanna